Friday 15 June 2012

Work continues to support Coryton Refinery

 Since Parliament returned on Monday, Stephen Metcalfe, Member of Parliament for South Basildon and East Thurrock has been working hard both on the floor of the House and behind the scenes to see what further support the Government can give to secure the long term future of the Coryton Oil Refinery.

Stephen said: “Needless to say, I am deeply concerned that a buyer for the Refinery has not been found and that the long term future of the plant has not been secured. I want to assure everyone that I will not give up hope of finding a solution until every avenue has been explored and no stone left unturned.”

“Since Monday, I have met Charles Hendry, Energy Minister, again to request that he and his Department consider what further action, including financial assistance, the Government can take.”

“I have contacted the Treasury and briefed a Treasury Minister on the situation and asked that they explore what financial support might be available and how that might be structured.”

“I had previously raised the problems at Coryton at Prime Minsters Questions and tried to get called again yesterday to ask the Prime Minster to encourage Ministers across Government to explore every avenue including the possibility of financial assistance, such as we gave the banks, to keep the Coryton Refinery open.”

“As I was not called, I have made a request to meet the Prime Minister personally to discuss this issue with him; I have written to brief him on the situation; I have tabled a written question to the Prime Minister asking what contact the Government has had from the Administrators asking for financial assistance and was today able to ask the Leader of the House to hold an urgent debate on the Refineries future.”

“In light of his response, I have applied to hold a debate on the floor of the House of Commons and am waiting to hear when that might be.”

“And I have contacted colleagues from across the County to ask them to support the efforts to keep the refinery open.”

“It is unfortunate that the Government is not in a position to buy the Refinery, but I am determined to make every effort to find out what assistance can be offered and am working hard to ensure that the Government examine again the issue of financial assistance.”

“Finally, I can assure the staff, Management and workers, and the wider community that I will do everything I can within my power to save the Refinery and the vital local manufacturing jobs it provides.”