Monday 8 December 2014

Stephen Metcalfe MP raises constituents’ concerns of level crossings to Secretary of State

Local MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock Stephen Metcalfe rose on the floor of the House of Commons yesterday to highlights his and his constituent’s concerns over increased railway usage and the effect this has on level crossings.

Addressing the Secretary of State for Transport, Stephen said: “As a result of increased rail use, level crossings in my constituency, particularly at East Tilbury, are spending longer closed. Not only does that cause severe delays to traffic and commuters, it puts lives at risk. Will my right hon. Friend meet me and put pressure on the Treasury to make more money available to deal with level crossings?”

In reply, The Secretary of State for Transport Patrick Mcloughlin said: “A lot of work is currently being done with Network Rail.... I will report back to my hon. Friend and ask for a direct report on this matter.”

Stephen Metcalfe later commented: “I believe it is incredibly important to highlight mine and my constituents concerns on this matter. Many local residents have been in contact regarding this issue and I have been keen to ensure that their experiences are being taken seriously by the Government.”

“I am pleased that the Secretary of State will now look into this matter for me. I will of course be monitoring developments closely and be reporting back in due course.