Monday 23 January 2017

Welcoming focus on science in the Industrial Strategy

I spoke in the House of Commons expressing my support for the importance being placed on science investment and skills development in the Government's new industrial strategy 'green paper.'

I asked the Secretary of State for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) to seize the moment and make the case across Government for increasing spending on science and technology to 3% of GDP. Many of our competitor nations across the world have made a similar commitment and Parliament's cross-party Science and Technology Committee, which I chair, has called for this to happen in our country.

I also urged the Minister to publish the Government's digital strategy, which again forms an important part of the new industrial strategy.

Watch a recording of my exchange with the Minister below: